About Re-Opening Our Guidelines
July 29, 2020
Dear Vernon United Methodist Church Friends and Family:
I hope this letter finds you well. It has been a very interesting past four months since we have been unable to meet in our beloved church building. I do miss you all greatly, but am thankful to God for those who have been able to keep in touch through technology.
The information below outlines our proposed new regulations and safety rules. There's a lot to take in - we have diagrams of how people should move in and out of the church, safety protocols that will help us meet safely, and several other considerations. At first glance, this may all seem overwhelming, but I want you to know that this has been prepared by all the church leaders and council with your safety first and foremost in our minds.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me or the church office. Please keep in mind that these protocols are temporary measures, designed to help us worship together safely as we continue to see highs and lows in the COVID numbers in New Jersey. When we can safely open for more people, we will - joyfully. If we are told we must once again shut down the building, we will - respectfully.
Please also note that no matter what, we will continue to stream services on Facebook Live, which can be reached even if you do not have a Facebook account. If you have any difficulty connecting to these services, or need assistance, please contact the church office, and we'll do our best to make sure you are able to listen to and participate in worship.
I want to thank each one of you for being patient and willing to help us all get through this together. I am truly blessed to serve a church family that continues to care for one another and worship our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ in these trying times.
“The Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you.”
II Thessalonians 3:3
Peace of Christ,
Pastor Connie Squire
Basic Guidelines - Summary for Attendees
All worshippers must agree to adhere to all published guidelines to participate in in-person services at Vernon UMC. We respect the right of all persons to choose their own level of participation in COVID precautions, but respectfully request that you worship at home if you are not comfortable, willing, or able, to follow these guidelines.
Things to bring with you:
- Communion elements for yourself and your family (juice or water and bread or crackers
- Face masks for everyone in your party. We do have a limited supply of face masks if you are unable to supply your own.
- Hand sanitizer or hand wipes if you prefer. The church will also provide hand sanitizer throughout the sanctuary.
- Park in a designated spot as directed by a parking lot attendant
- Remain in your car until an attendant signals you to exit your car.
Don face coverings before exiting your car
Parking attendants will provide you with a mask if you are unable to provide your own.
To enter the building:
- Follow the instructions of parking attendants
- Maintain a 6-foot distance from others as you wait for entry
- Wait for an usher to bring you into the building, and escort you to your seat.
During the service:
- Remain in your pew during the entire service. This includes small children.
- Keep your face mask in place at all times, except during the serving of Communion
- Retain any trash from your Communion and take it out with you
- Hymnals and bulletins will not be used. Lyrics for hymns and all readings will be on the monitors at the front.
- Limit restroom use to emergencies if possible
After the service:
- Remain in your pew, and wait for the ushers to signal your turn to exit the building
- Observe appropriate social distancing in the parking lot
- Keep face coverings in place until you are in your car
- If you stay in the parking lot, please be cognizant of those around you who may need to pass in order to reach their cars.